Saturday, August 4, 2007

Southern Pines excursion

Randy & I went to Southern Pines yesterday evening. It was the first time I've been there in many years. It's such a nice homey town. They were having a community event, "First Friday," with an art walk, music, and lots of people out and about. Our town, Hillsborough, has "Last Friday." These events remind me of the old days with all of the people congregating downtown. In Hillsborough, there's a band in front of the courthouse and people bring lawn chairs and blankets to "sit a spell" and listen.
But, I digress. We went to Southern Pines not only to attend First Friday, but to visit my friend, Jean Skipper's gallery, Artist Alley, where she sells art made only in North Carolina. The gallery has a nice variety, and Jean has done a beautiful job with her display of the artwork. I was glad to get a chance to meet Jean's son, Alan (Allen?) after hearing her talk about him - and he's just as nice and handsome as I thought he'd be! It was great to see Jean and my other friends, Amy Smith and Penny Arrowood (what a nice surprise that she was there!), who both have their work in Jean's gallery. I met all of these artists at Art & Soul. It goes without saying that a good time was had by all! at Art & Soul, and last night!
I guess one of Randy & my hobbies is eating out - we love to try new restaurants, so an added treat last night was a meal at Corfu Taverna, a Greek restaurant, next to Jean's gallery. I had one of the best meals ever - no kidding! Grouper with a lemon caper sauce, and if that wasn't enough, shrimp and fresh veggies. Randy had lamb shank with garlic embedded throughout - he said it was pretty incredible. After all that good food and the drink with my meal, it was all I could do to stay awake on the drive home. It's about 90 minutes, but it seemed to take longer to get home than it took to get there. I guess because of the full tummy, being late, and it was dark and much less interesting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...