Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Tossing & Turning

I suffer from insomnia and I generally take something for it. When I forget "Mother's little helper" I toss and turn, waking up every hour or so. I don't know why I don't go ahead and get up the first time and take my pill so I could just sleep, but i never do. I'm just too lazy so I lay there and suffer through until I finally give up and get up. I TRY to stay in the bed until after 4, but some nights it's really hard. My mind starts churning with everything I could be doing instead of lying there. And when I get up - I don't do all those millions of things I thought of. I drink coffee, read email, then I might start on something. Now you know why my little business is called 3 AM Designs...
I spent a day dismantling my aquarium. It took a lot longer taking it down than it took setting it up. I had enjoyed it while I had it, but awhile back I had rearranged my studio and had moved it to a corner. At the time I could see it from my worktable, but then I got a tall shelf for my paper and the only place to put it blocked half of the aquarium. I was down to 2 fish, not counting the giant pleco and the tiny albino cat that hung around doing nothing, and I needed to replace the light assembly. I tried replacing the bulb, but of course, that didn't work. That never seems to work in this house when a fluorescent light burns out - after many trips to the store, I end up replacing the whole dang fixture, sometimes after trying to replace parts. So I made the decision that it was probably time to part with the aquarium. I found a home for the fish and took them to their new father last week. While there, I asked if he was interested in another aquarium and he was willing to take it off my hands. I hated to let him see that his new pets had lived in squalor, so it was not just a matter of emptying the water. It's really nasty under that gravel! Needless to say, there was water spillage even though I tried to prepare for that by putting plastic on the carpet. I had to siphon 20 gallons, 2 gallons at a time, and twice, the hose that I thought I had securely fastened flipped out, pouring water on me, the carpet, my paper... it was not a pretty sight. It's probably good that nobody else was around to hear me. It's hard to get all that water out of carpet - I went through a lot of towels. I think I'll miss my fish. I enjoyed them when they were in front of my table and I could look up and watch them for awhile. I had red swordtails that had babies and that was really amazing. Some of them survived to have babies, too.

1 comment:

Jean Skipper said...

It looks like you're off to a great start with your blog, Toni. I too am a sporadic blogger, and I've been desperately trying to improve my habits. In fact, I think I'll go post to my own blog right now! lol

Thank you for featuring Artist Alley and Southern Pines in your post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...