Saturday, October 13, 2007

Who Am I


I was invited to write on the question, "Who Am I?" This was not an easy task as I was only given five minutes, but I'm not sure that it would have been much easier if I'd been given a week! After reflecting for a few seconds, I began this list:


I am Matt's mom.
I am Randy's wife.
I am a sister and a sister-in-law.
I am a daughter, a daughter-in-law, and a grand-daughter.
I am a niece, an aunt, and a cousin.
I am a friend.
I am a woman - hear me roar (thank you Helen Reddy).
I am a poet, a writer, an artist.
I am a survivor, NOT a victim, of abuse, incest, and rape.
I am not like anyone else - I am unique - I am Me.


After I had done this little project and read over what I had written, I realized that I had listed roles that I fill, but I had not really answered the question, "Who AM I?" It's true, I am all of those roles, but I am also someone else behind the roles. I wish I could just zip off a bunch of words to describe who I am, but I'm finding it very hard to find the words. My usually flippant self can't even come up with anything facetious, which tells me how scary this whole subject really is! So, let me turn the table and ask you, how would you answer the question? What roles do you fill, and who are you behind the roles?

2 comments:

SweetPea said...

Hey Toni - This is amazing! I participated in an altered book RR a few years ago - and my poem in the beginning of the book is very similiar. . . . well, except for one line. Will write you later.
I think you did very well on this!
Big Hugs

jthom03 / Jan Thomason / thomranch@hctc.net said...

I just saw your qoute on the chitchattysister board daily and wanted to tell you that your favorite qoute is MY favorite qoute! I use the shorter version (what I think of as the shorter version), "because nice matters", a lot. But, "be kinder than necessary...." is my favorite qoute - I've even used it in some of my art.
Just thought it was wonderful to see that someone else sees the power of that qoute - enough to put it with their signature.
Jan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...