Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday

I'm sure there is nobody around to read this today. In fact, I shouldn't even be here writing this. The stores have been open since 4 am! That means I could be almost finished by now if I had been at the stores when they opened. But, I can't think of anything on my list that would make me go out and stand in a line - and you know there will be lines, even at 4 am - especially at 4 am - on Black Friday! People will be there hours before the stores open, waiting to get in, waiting to rush for that one thing on their list that is a "must-have" on every child's list this year, but is in short supply, and the only way to get it is to shop at 4 am. My child is 22 - old enough that his "wants won't hurt him" - well, that's what MY mother said! Seriously, he doesn't want a ninja turtle this year.

I don't shop on Black Friday anymore. It's just too crazy. You can't find a parking place anywhere near the mall. If you do happen to get inside, or if you go to an independent store, once you get in, you can barely look at anything. I'd rather wait and go next week. Plus I do most of my shopping online or in the smaller local shops.

Years ago, my mother-in-law, my sisters-in-law and I would venture out on the Friday after Thanksgiving - it didn't have any special name then. The sales started early, but at a decent 8 am. We didn't show up until around 9, taking our chances on getting a parking space and usually having to park in the back, but still finding one. We looked for bargains and Christmas gifts, laughing all the while. We girls were never together that we were not laughing - everything was funny to us!

After the mall, we'd grab some, then head to a few specialty shops. This is when the real shopping began - the shopping for US! We would hit a wonderful store, Salem Creek, to buy Christmas decorations and other goodies, then hit Talbots, to see what clothes might be on sale. Our last stop before heading home would be Dewey's Bakery for Moravian cookies, creme horns, eclairs, and Moravian sugar cakes for tomorrow's breakfast - yummmmm. Now, that's a fine day shopping...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...