Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Clotheslines - a Thing of the Past


I have to clean out my laundry room this morning because I'm having a dryer delivered. I wish it was something neater, but at least I am able to replace the old one. I do remember having to hang out laundry. I didn't mind it too much except when it was really cold. You can't hang laundry with gloves on, and wet things are really cold. But I couldn't hang my laundry now even if I wanted to. This neighborhood, which is only one street, doesn't allow clotheslines. I'm not sure how it is that we've gotten to the place that someone can tell me that I can't put a clothesline in my own backyard. We do own this little piece of land that our house sits on. But the guy who "developed" this neighborhood of one street thought it would make people clamor to live here if it said that nobody would be erecting clotheslines in their backyards. He also assured us, back in 1988, that nobody else would be developing neighborhoods all around us. He lied. We used to sit on our deck and look out over the woods around us, knowing that the deer had slept out in the adjoining field. Now when we're grilling supper, a neighbor yells, "what's for dinner?" We look up at the subdivisions on all three sides of us. I don't really mind all this growth either. It's been good for our town. I better go clean out that laundry room...

1 comment:

Lilymane said...

I loved the sunshine smell of sheets that had been dried on a clothesline - but I hated it when I forgot to bring my things in and they got rained upon. We lived in the country on 77 acres (in a 700 sq ft cabin - five people were a tight fit) and I hung laundry and prayer flags and once had a truckload of dirt dumped into my yard - without anyone saying a word. (The dirt was for intended the garden but my three small boys literally jumped for joy when they saw it. They played with their matchbox cars and leggo guys in it; they rolled down "the mountain"; and they built dirt castles. I let them have it for five or six months before I finally had to spread it - but it stays in my mind as the best $50 I ever spent.) I love being more urban now - but I miss the days of sunshine sheets and dirt piles. (Thanks for the map link to NC Blogs! That was really helpful!) Peace.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...