Thursday, November 8, 2007

My Aunt



I'm sad today. My dear aunt has died. I'm thankful that she died peacefully in her sleep. I regret that I didn't make that trip to visit that I kept thinking about all summer, putting it off one more week. I'm out of weeks now.


Growing up, I didn't live near my relatives because my dad was in the Air Force, but we spent at least 2 weeks every summer visiting them. It was the highlight of my year. I loved coming home to NC and seeing my grandparents, my aunt and uncle, and my cousins. My time was divided between my granny's house and my aunt's house. My favorite cousin and I spent the whole time together, spending the nights giggling, telling stories, catching up.


Last year I went to visit my aunt, and it was the first time in my life that it was just the two of us. Every other time I'd been to her house, it was overflowing with people, big and small. I'm glad that I had that chance to have her all to myself for a couple of days. No matter how much I tried to do things for her, she wouldn't hear of it - as always, SHE doted on ME, fixing me ice tea, breakfast, making sure that I had any little thing I needed. Bless her heart.

I'm going to miss you, Aunt Nettie Vann, I love you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...