Friday, November 2, 2007

Skunked!


About 10 days ago my dog, Tucker, had a run-in with a skunk! not just any skunk, but an albino skunk! He and Randy thought it was our neighbor's cat for the split-second they saw it before it sprayed them! Randy came to the back door, yelled for help and I grabbed some towels, wet them, and ran out there (in my fresh-from-the-cleaners slacks that I had put on just before we had gone to dinner). Poor Tucker had been hit right in the face and I needed to try to clean his eyes. In the meantime, Randy went to our neighbor's to get the formula to bathe him - not too long ago, he and our neighbor had been talking about dogs and skunks, and our neighbor had said that tomato juice doesn't work.



Here's the formula, should you ever need it (and I hope you don't!):

1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1 teaspoon dish detergent

I needed to go to the drugstore for fresh peroxide (Randy smelled too bad!) I learned that if peroxide has been opened for more than a few weeks, it turns to water - who knew? You can check yours by seeing if it foams.



After getting poor, stinky Tucker upstairs to the bathroom and finally bathing him with the solution and douche, he was tolerable. He didn't smell good, but he no longer reeked of rotten garlic/dead skunk. We disposed of towels, cleaned up our mess, took showers, and went to bed - smelling skunk.



The next day Tucker went to his groomer where he was bathed with their super-duper skunk shampoo. While he was there, I washed the shower curtain, spread, throws, and rugs, and sprayed the whole house with de-skunk spray...

Still I smelled skunk. When I drank my coffee, I smelled skunk on my hand. When I ate, I smelled skunk on my hand. When I lay down in my bed, I smelled skunk on my pillow. And, of course, Tucker smelled when I petted him. I couldn't not pet him, poor smelly puppy. He couldn't help it that he smelled bad. Then, for a few days, it got better. Tucker smelled better and I didn't notice it on my hands or permeating the air. But now it seems to be back. Is that possible? Or am I just imagining it?

1 comment:

Sephyroth said...

I'm stopping by on my way to commenting on as many NaBloPoMo blogs as possible.

You can find more information about the commenting challenge and join the group here. :)

Yikes! I think your neighbor's right about the tomato juice not working the greatest; we'd done it in the past and I don't remember it working terribly effectively.

Also, that makes sense that the peroxide would turn to water - the extra oxygen in the peroxide probably loses its bond with the Hydrogen in the compound. However, I will append my remarks by mentioning that I am not a chemist. ;)

Sephyroth
http://www.sephyroth.net

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...