Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Mardi Gras in Hillsborough

Oh, we had some fun last night here in our little town! We didn't have a parade but we did have a PARTY! Our favorite restaurant is Tupelo's, which is a New Orleans kind of place so, of course, they had to celebrate Mardi Gras! And the place was packed - there wasn't a seat to be had - even the seats at the bar were reserved! There were beads, of course, and masks, and a few tophats - moi was sporting a lovely, sequined, tophat in Mardi Gras colors!

It wouldn't be a party without some music and dancing, eh? The band, Zydecopious, was fabulous! They are a real Zydeco band! There is no way to sit still when they are playing! I mean, I had to get up while I was still eating to dance! Usually, you wouldn't be able to pull me away from my Crab Cakes! Before the night was over, a couple of Hillsborough guys were playing the frottoir, a type of washboard, with them. Tupelo's owner, Matt Carroll, was playing the tambourine, and my husband, Randy, was playing the spoons. Yes, I would say that a good time was had in Hillsborough on Mardi Gras!

**********
Switching topics... I want to tell you about an Easter basket contest that you really shouldn't miss. I heard it about through one of the One-World-One-Heart participants. If you go over to see this basket at Notes & News From Nancy and leave a comment, you'll be entered in her drawing. She's a very talented artist, making beautiful rabbits, Santa's, chicks, cats, you name it! I'd be thrilled to just get the rabbit that she's including in this basket!
And don't forget to leave a comment to enter my drawing for the quilled cardinal pin. I've had a good time visiting the other participants' blogs in this One-World-One-Heart event - it's really been an experience to see what other artists are doing, and to see just how generous everyone is! Somebody commented that "it's all about connection." It is that and it's also about learning about others and visiting blogs that we wouldn't even know about if not for Lisa and this great idea of hers. Ok, I'm done...

7 comments:

Pat said...

Hi Toni
Thank you for coming over to see my blog and your kind words about it. I'm pretty new at blogging, but I'm enjoying it, and I'm finding so many new and interesting ones to read every day. I looked at Nina's blog and loved how poetic it was and how it tied in with her beautiful handcrafted jewelry. I've seen her work before in Somerset Studio, but I didn't know she had a blog --thanks for directing me to it.
I enjoyed reading your blog today. I have a hard time parting with books also! I joined "paperback swap" awhile ago and then couldn't follow through...lol. I'll have to try again.
Your quilling art is so beautiful! I'll be visiting again to see more from time to time. Thanks!

Maureen said...

Thank you also for stopping by and your sweet words Toni!
I would love for you to stop by again and see my OWOH giveaway I just put on :-)

Jeri Aaron said...

Hi Toni - you're living in Hillsborough - I'm a displaced North Carolinian (Raleigh) - now residing in TX. I loved your description of the restaurant Tupolo's - sounded like great fun!

Teri said...

Hi Toni - thanks for dropping me a comment...I honestly didn't mean artsy-fartsy in a nasty way (you'll notice I did say about how every artist has a God-given talent, which I do NOT have)...just that much of it isn't my style, which is why I didn't enter all of them. They just wouldn't go with the decor of my house, that's all! I'm more into functional pieces of art (such as your pin!)

Kristy said...

Hello and Thank you also for stopping by. I'm from Laurinburg, about 2 hours from Wilmington. My dads side of the family lives at the beach, only about 30 mins from Wilmington. I do love the Apple the most. My mother would love the Cardinal. It is our State bird. :p

Robyn said...

WOW! Thanks for coming by and adding a comment! It was lovely of you! And I have been enjoying reading some of your posts on your blog as well! I am from Biloxi, Mississippi! So I am very familiar with all the goings on! Love those Hurricanes! :)
Hugs,
Robyn

Rosie said...

Hi Toni,

Another quiller here. sounds like you had a great time.

Rosie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...