Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Coffee? How I Helped My Mom Meet the Neighbors


I was reading this post on Tropic of Mom's blog about her son, known as the Man-cub, knocking on her neighbor's door and helping his mom meet her neighbor. It reminded me of this little story told often in my family. I also decided that my mother needed to meet the neighbors.

I was 3-and-half years old (you know at that age that "half" is very important!), and we had just moved to Hawaii. I mean, JUST moved - everything was still in boxes. We had arrived the day before, and it was late by the time the truck had been unloaded. My parents had put the beds together, found sheets and said the heck with unpacking anything else. I had heard my mother say something the day before about wanting to meet the neighbors. She actually had what today we refer to as a "meltdown". She was upset because she was in Hawaii - this was a very long time ago, before Hawaii was a state! (now you know that I truly am "older than dirt"!) She was expecting an uncivilized place with scary natives or something. We didn't know anything about Hawaii before landing there - there was no Google back then! Plus, she didn't have any friends there. She's 24, all alone, except for my dad and me, in a strange country, and probably exhausted. So she had a little meltdown that upset me and made me want to do something to help.

I got up early, Dad had already left to report for duty at the Air Force base, and mom was still asleep. I was probably thinking that she'd feel better when she had some friends. So, while she was still asleep, I slipped out of the house. Our house was "base housing" and it was on a sort of courtyard where 6 or 8 (I can't remember - I was only 6 when we moved from there!) houses faced a central yard. I went from house to house in this little courtyard. I told the women who opened their doors to find little me standing there in the early morning, that we just moved in and that my mommy wanted them to come over for coffee so she could meet them. (heehee)


Yes, this is me in Hawaii - 3 1/2 years old

I'm not sure what they were thinking, but all of those women followed me home to have coffee and to meet my mother. Remember that we had just moved in - everything is in boxes. Plus, my mother was still in the bed! Oh, my poor mother! She was awakened by me running into her room and yelling that I'd brought her some new friends! When she figured out that I meant right then - that there were women in the house - she jumped out of bed, threw some clothes on and went out into the kitchen. She tried to explain that we'd just moved in, that I heard her say she was going to have everybody for coffee, but that she didn't mean right then.

These women were wonderful - they told her not to worry about it. They ended up getting together some coffee, cups, and food from their houses. Soon, we were having a "coffee" on our living room floor. Then these lovely women pitched in and helped my mother unpack. She had her some new friends - and I helped.

I'm sure she wanted to strangle me when she first realized what I'd done! But it all worked out, and from then on, every time we were transferred to a new place, she would have a "coffee" to meet our neighbors. She just waited until she was unpacked and could find the cups!

3 comments:

mona said...

Does anyone live in a subdivision where there are several people who ignore the subdivision rules?
I do. No one is supposed to have those ugly fences on the top of their pools, and it seems that everyone in the sub with a pool
has one of those. My neighbor has one, and I have to look at that hideous thing every time I look out my window. Then there is my other neighbor who has three dogs.
The maximum number of dogs is supposed to be two. I wouldn't mind the three, but two of them are pit bulls who viciously snarl and growl and act like they are going
to eat my dog when they are outside. Even the owners scream at them to stop. It is very unnerving. Then one of the board members is delinquent by 3 years on the dues because she
has decided she doesn't need to pay since she is on the board. I can't take the neighbors around here. I was looking for a forum to vent about the jerks around here and I came across this site
called http://urajerk.com and I sent all of those idiots on the board and all my lovely neighbors with the ugly pools an anonymous card. LOL I loved it. I know it sounds stupid but I feel better. He he he

Elizabeth Golden said...

I loved your story and weren't you thoughtful. If people would just take the time they would be so enriched by these friendships. Thanks for sharing, I think I will invite my neighbor over after work.
Elizabeth

byoc said...

What a cute story. Tugs my heartstrings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...