Monday, October 6, 2008

Fun Monday - The White Glove Test



Our lovely hostess this week is Mommy Wizdom and she gives us the following:

The assignment:

Themes to choose from:


  • A visit by your mother in law

  • Bedtime Stories

  • Raising a Teenager

The words: Ostrich, goosebumps, magazines, soup, cats, lethargic, noodles, tequila, doorknob, biscuit

Wild card words: prehistoric, Jedi Knight, cactus, periscope, humor

Your job is to write a story (true or made-up), poem, song, letter... whatever strikes you ABOUT one of the three themes. You must INCLUDE all 10 words. Wild cards words may be used in addition to or in place of the main 10 words


**********

I'm one of the lucky ones. Most women I know have a hate-hate relationship with their mothers-in-law. A friend of mine once said that she was sure that her mother-in-law must be a dinosaur because every idea she ever had was prehistoric. I was blessed because my mother-in-law was also my best friend. However, I didn't know that in the beginning. I had no idea what to expect.

RJ's mother comes from a pretty famous Southern family. Practically everything in their hometown is named after her family, so I expected that she might be a little bit uppity. She was also the type of woman who got up and dressed every day as if she had someplace to go even if she didn't. I'm talking about dressed to the nines. And the woman never wore a pair of pants in her life. She belonged to the Junior League, too, for goodness sakes. Not only that, the woman could cook! Can you tell that I was a little intimidated? And this was all based on what I'd heard - I'd never even met the woman.

How was I supposed to measure up to this woman? I came from a middle class family that had nothing named after it. If I'm wasn't going anywhere, you can bet that you would catch me in my blue jeans and a t-shirt, and back then I could barely heat up soup with noodles, let alone bake a biscuit.

So you can imagine that I was more than a little nervous when I heard that RJ's parents were coming to visit. In fact, I wanted to turn into an ostrich and bury my head until the weekend was over! First of all, RJ and I weren't married. He had moved in only a couple of weeks before this and he was sick with mono. His parents wanted to visit to check on him. I was sure that they also wanted to check out this girl that was corrupting him, convincing him to live in sin. They probably had this vision of wild parties with the Jedi Knight serving tequila shots. Ok, that might be pushing it - she might not have known who the Jedi Knight was, but she probably imagined the wild parties, or so I thought anyway!

We lived in an old rental home, that I could only do so much with. No matter how hard I tried to clean it, it still had the lingering odor of the previous owner's cats, who must have used the carpet as their litter box at some point. But I cleaned and cleaned for days for this visit. Poor RJ couldn't help because the mono made him so lethargic, but he tried by straightening up the magazines and a few things in the living room. By the time they were due to arrive, I didn't think the house had ever been cleaner.

When they pulled up out front, RJ, turning the doorknob as he looked out, said, "Oh my God, she's broken both her arms!"

As she walked up the walkway and got closer, we saw that it wasn't casts on her arms, but she was wearing formal white gloves that came above her elbows! When she reached the door, without cracking a smile, she said, "I'm hear for your white glove inspection. Step aside, please."

She walked in and proceeded to run her fingertip along my mantel! The rest of us were cracking up. She turned around, hugged me, and said, "Never worry about the shape of your house, dear. We are coming to visit YOU, not your house. Now, do you have any ice tea?"

That was when I discovered that my mother-in-law had the very best sense of humor, and that she was to become my very best friend in the world.


18 comments:

MommyWizdom said...

That was a beautiful story. I wish I could say my MIL and I are best friends... I think at best, we've come to "accept" each other, but that's it.

Thanks SO much for playing. You did an awesome job! Welcome to Fun Monday!

Anonymous said...

Toni - what a great story. My MIL and I weren't close and I wish we had been. How lucky you are, not only to be friends with her but that she's got such a great sense of humor! Miss you - Kim Cataldo

Dr.John said...

I assume that's a true story. It certainly is well writen and the words are well used. Great!

karisma said...

Oh she sounds like a doll! I bet everyone loves her!

Woodlandmama said...

You're very lucky to have such a nice MIL. Great job.

IamwhoIam said...

Love the ending.

Thanks for playing

Raven said...

Lovely story and beautifully written. I hope it's true.

Alison said...

that is a great story, she sounds like a wonderful lady!!

jsi said...

Well done, all the way around!
Thanks for sharing.

jsi said...

Well done, all the way around!
Thanks for sharing.

NariceatL4 said...

Well done indeed! Clever ending! And if the story is true, how nice to have such a wonderful MIL!

min said...

That cracked me up. I can tell I'm going to be a terrible mother-in-law. You did a great job of using all those words!

Gattina said...

What a nice story and you even put all the words in !

grace said...

I love your story, I bet your MIL would smile if she read it. Henry is feeling better, thank you for checking on him

Sayre said...

I loved your story! You're very lucky to have a MIL that is also your best friend.

Tiggerlane said...

That was a great story - and I could hardly tell you were "forced" use certain words...you did a great job!!

motor sports transportation said...

Wow! I agree. That was a great story.
I was destructed with this paragraph "How was I supposed to measure up to this woman? I came from a middle class family that had nothing named after it. If I'm wasn't going anywhere, you can bet that you would catch me in my blue jeans and a t-shirt, and back then I could barely heat up soup with noodles, let alone bake a biscuit."

Jeanne Rhea said...

What a great story!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...