Sunday, November 2, 2008

Metal Form Folding

A few weeks ago I attended a workshop at the ArtCenter in Carrboro, NC. The workshop was taught by John Fetvedt, on Forging and Folding Metal. It's a good thing that the course description only said we were going to be hammering metal, and did not say one thing about torches, because I would not have signed up! There have been other classes I have elected not to take because torches were involved. I had these pictures of me and torches and buildings on fire...

I'm glad that the brochure gave an incomplete description because once I tried the torch a couple of times, it wasn't as bad as I had feared. I didn't burn anyone or any buildings. whew! I'm even considering purchasing my own torch now. I haven't told RJ yet. Wonder what he'll say when he comes home from one of his business trips to find a tank and torch sitting in the garage? Do you think our home owner's will go up? Maybe I'll have to make a place outside for my torching?

I'm so glad that I didn't miss taking this workshop. I couldn't believe what you can do to metal just by folding it, hitting it with a hammer, and heating it. Of course, it depends on how you fold it, where you hammer it, how many times you heat it, etc... But some truly amazing things happen. We worked with copper in our workshop and I hope to have a chance to apply these techniques to other metals, especially silver.

Here are a few of my pieces from the workshop:




5 comments:

CREATIVEGoddess said...

Very cool pieces. I want to learn!!!

Jeanne Rhea said...

Love those pieces! Can't wait to see what you do with the silver.

Grace Kleppin said...

Found you via NaBloPoMo--

What fun that you felt the fear and did it anyway. And what beautiful results! A lesson to us all.

I am just dipping my toe into the collage world, and I love it!

gail said...

These are beautiful!!!! I'm trying this now - but wish I could take a class -
I love the colors you got with the copper - am wondering if you've put anything on it to save the color from more oxidizing??

karen said...

Charles Lewton-Brain wrote a wonderful book on foldforming. Well worth the price. I like your work and love working with all metals.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...